Mental Health First Aid Course - University of Gibraltar - 10/11 Oct 2016
October 24, 2017
Our senior investigating officer, Karen Calamaro, attended a two day Mental Health First Aid Course organised by Clubhouse Gibraltar which was held at the University of Gibraltar on the 10th and 11th October 2017. The purpose of the course was to inform and familiarise attendees about mental health issues with the aim of equipping them with the skills to be able to provide mental health first aid when a situation arises. The main objectives of the course were for attendees to be able to apply the following:
• Preserve life when the person may be at risk of harm;
• Provide help and information to prevent mental health issue from becoming more serious before professional help arrives;
• Promote recovery of good mental health;
• Signpost the person to other agencies/organisations for assistance;
• Raise awareness;
• Reduce stigma and discrimination;
• Improve one’s own health and well being.
The delivery of the course by Daryl Britto from Positive Pathways and Kevin Fowler from Clubhouse Gibraltar was excellent. Both of them have extensive knowledge and experience in dealing with persons suffering with mental health issues. In all, a course that achieved all that it set out to.